Frequently Asked Questions
We appreciate that negotiating your way through property management issues can be a formidable task. Here are a few of the common questions asked by property owners and Management Companies looking to take on a new Property Managing Agent.
- Where and how do you keep the money raised from our service charge? The area of service charge collection is regulated by The Property Services Regulatory Authority. This regulation provides protection to property owners who vest large sums of money with Managing Agents. We are a licenced Managing Agent and so you can be assured that your service charge funds are protected. Your service charges are payable directly to your Management Company's bank account and are managed by A.K. Property Services. All of our company's financial services are delivered using the award winning blockman™ customised property management software system. This system guarantees integrity of all financial information where we can provide complete transparency of financials for all property owners as required by the Multi-Unit Developments Act 2011. We provide a detailed report each year to all property owners. Contact us to receive a sample copy of our end of year financial report.
- How do you deal with unpaid service charges? We recommend that each Management Company implements a company policy for the collection of service charges. This policy will be formulated by agreement with all Members and Directors at the AGM and will be devised in accordance with recommendations from A.K. Property Services together with the instructions of the owners. Once we are instructed to collect the annual service charge in accordance with the company policy then this can become binding on all property owners. Contact us to receive a sample copy of such a policy.
- Have you any references/testimonials you can supply us with? Over the past 17 years, A.K Property Services has built up a considerable rapport with the Management Companies it deals with and several glowing testimonials as to the quality of our service. Click here to see a selection of these testimonials
- How close are your offices to our property? Our administrative offices are in Oranmore, Co. Galway. However, maintenance for each development is carried out by local service contractors employed by us, and who are only a short distance away from your development.
- Can you give details on the qualifications of the personnel at A.K. Property Services? Aisling Keenan has been the Managing Director of A.K. Property Services for the past 17 years and is the holder of a Property Services Providers Licence. A graduate of NUI Galway with an honours Bachelor of Commerce degree she is also the winner of NUI Galway, Moot Court Competition 2015/2016 and is currently studying for a postgraduate L.L.B. Law degree (2015-2017). Prior to joining A.K. Property Services, Denise Shaughnessy worked for six years as a legal secretary and since then has been the senior administrator at A.K. Property Services. In addition to other administrative staff, all contractors are appointed locally to each site and are interviewed to ensure that they can provide the necessary expertise and level of service required for the job.
- Can you show us an example of how financial records will be kept about our block? Financial records for each Management Company are placed in the end of year report. We produce the most detailed financial report of any property management agent, and we do this for each and every development that we manage. Contact Us to request a hypothetical end of year sample report.
- Will your fees carry VAT? Yes, at the standard 23% rate.
- How do you deal with problem tenants and complaints? Each development that we manage has a set of house/estate rules. These rules form part of the lease agreements and the Management Company agreements. We will ensure that these rules are enforced and that there are sanctions for those who are found to be in breach. We have formulated detailed reporting procedures where all reports are carefully and accurately compiled and documented so that they can then be relied upon when required. We regularly inform and advise property owners on the value of a good tenant and have been successful in evicting problem tenants.
- What methods of payment do you accept? We accept cheques, bank drafts, online payments and cash payments. Nowadays, most property owners choose to pay their annual service charge online. We facilitate this and we allow owners to pay their annual service charge monthly over ten months on a standing order payment plan.
- How often do you rotate directors in the Management Company? The owners decide how often they wish to rotate directors; however we recommend regular rotation of directors.
- How much notice do you need to cancel a contract? If a contract is cancelled, our company policy requires one month's notice in writing from the directors.
- Can you give us full details of your professional indemnity insurance? A.K. Property Services is fully insured with professional indemnity as required by The Property Services Regulatory Authority. Contact us for our policy details.
- Can you give us a copy of any standard contract you use? Yes, the standard contract that we use is set out by The Property Services Regulatory Authority. It is form 'PSRA/S43 Form D1/2014' and we tailor this contract to the specific requirements of your development. For a blank copy of this document please click here.